Trinity Equalizes Late to Earn 1-1 Tie With Christopher Newport

Trinity Equalizes Late to Earn 1-1 Tie With Christopher Newport

San Antonio - The Tiger men's soccer team rallied with a late penalty kick goal to earn a 1-1 double-overtime draw against Christopher Newport (VA) University on Friday night.


Trinity fell behind in the 16th minute after a free kick led directly to a goal for Christopher Newport. The Captains were aggressive from the start, hitting the post with a header just 98 seconds into the match, then missing to the right side of the net less than two minutes into the game.

The Tigers didn't get their first shot off until the eighth minute and didn't have an on-target attempt until after falling behind. Christopher Newport recorded three saves in the first period to keep it a 1-0 halftime lead for the visitors.

Plans to get on track early in the second half were derailed for Trinity when Jacob Hallenberger was shown a second yellow card in the 58th minute, forcing the Tigers to play down a man. Less than 10 minutes later, Armaan Islam was also sent off to make it a two-player advantage for Christopher Newport.

The Tigers continued to fight, though, allowing just one shot over the final 30-plus minutes and negating the advantage for the Captains.

With just over six minutes left in the game, Trinity forward Wesley Mitchell drew a foul in the box and was awarded a penalty kick. Andrea Codispoti drilled the PK for the game-tying score that eventually sent the game into overtime.

Both teams had two shots in the first overtime period, but it was the final seconds of the second overtime that were the most eventful. Christopher Newport had the only two shots of the period, but Tiger goalkeeper Juan Carlos Vidales saved both attempts.

The Captains appeared to score the game-winner with less than five seconds on the clock, but the goal was disallowed for offsides, and the game ended in a draw.



Trinity moves to 1-2-2 on the season and all three home games have gone to overtime. Christopher Newport is now 3-0-1 after tonight's game, which was the first overtime contest of the year for the Captains.

Andrea Codispoti scored his second goal of the young season and is the first Tiger player with more than one goal so far this year. Codispoti has been credited with nine goals over 24 games with the Tigers, including three game-winning efforts.

Juan Carlos Vidales recorded three saves over the final 33:03 in net for the Tigers.

Trinity led the game 8-4 on corner kicks, but the two teams were tied 11-11 in overall shots taken.



Trinity will be on the road in its next game, facing off against the University of Dallas (TX) in a non-conference matchup in Irving, Texas, on Sunday, September 22.